Saturday, July 11, 2009

Product Review: No sausage love tonight

So, while in my right well beloved Outpost Foods the other day, I noted that they had an owner special on seitan-based sausages. Now, someone stumbling through here might notice that I am fond of seitan as a meat analogue. And I'm an Outpost owner. And so the forces of the Universe conspired to get me to part with my hard-earned money and buy 2 packets of them: Field Roast brand Italian Sausages and Chipotle Sausages. They've been in business for some time now, and so I thought it would be worth trying. Mind you, the first Field Roast thing I'd tried, a grain meat analogue about the size and shape of a tube of liverwurst and made from lentils, was so disappointing that I thought I'd never touch another grain substitute.

But I love my italian sausage, and I'd had some decent "seitan chorizo" from Upton's Naturals, so I thought, what the hell, I'd give it a try.




And so there it is, the Italian sausage, served with saute onions, peas, and mashed sweet potatoes. The peas and potatoes were good. The Italian sausage?

I've got three more of 'em to choke down, because I don't spend that much money on food only to throw it away.

They are not terrible, but they taste exactly like VWG with some oregano thrown in. Maybe that tastes like an Italian sausage to someone who has not eaten the real thing in 5 years or so, but all I could taste was the gluten. I guess my next step is to freeze them (because I don't want to eat nothing but seitan any more than I would want to eat nothing but tofu could I have it) and try them drowned in spaghetti sauce the next time I eat spaghetti.

::sigh::

No comments:

Post a Comment