Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Euro Mock .... Part 2 (b)


Roman Inspired Veggie Patties


Continuing with the previous recipe, it's results.

The results are a little sweet for me, and the odd thing is that it didn't get that way until I added the chickpea/fava mix. This was a surprise, because this recipe features carrots and sweet liquids. As no component of the recipe was inedible without final cooking, I tasted as I went along: I thought it would be sweet, if it was going to be so, well before the addition of more legume flour. Next time I make these for myself, that'll be something for me to adjust.

On the other hand, it's tagged "Mikey Likey" because he found them to be just fine the way they came out. The picture above was my lunch on Friday. Today, I served it to Michael on a sandwich with mayo, a little avocado, onion, and cheddar on whole wheat, and to myself on sour dough with onion, avocado, and mustard.

And I can see why he said, "Make that again, honey," because with the sharp, raw yellow onion against the slightly sweet veggie patty, there was a toothsome contrast that we don't get in typical sandwich fare. I can only imagine that the sharpness of the cheddar increased that pleasant gustatory experience for him. Mild cheddar? In my house? Blasphemy!

So I'm going to take the inventions in progress tag off of this, but I'm going to try another route for a veggie burger based on the three receipts that I used here. I really enjoy Apicius Carrots as made way back here, and I'd like to bring that flavor to a veggie patty. Furthermore, I'd like to make a veggie patty that is gluten free, and while this one is good for wheat free and certainly reduces the gluten factor, both oats and barley do have a certain amount of gluten in them.

The other thing I have noticed is that this patty took a lot longer to make than the first version. The carrots took longer to prep & cook, as did the chickpeas and the barley. The black eyed peas/leek were started and finished in a day. The cooking times are greatly shorter for all ingredients in that burger. I begin to understand why some people buy veggie patties. yeah, it's 6 bucks a pack for the ones I can eat, but hell, that's sufficiently less than my hourly salary and I didn't have to run the oven.

The primary advantage of this is that I control the contents. No fake food. Quality local ingredients. Flavors I can't get in the store.

So that's a direction I need fo go as I continue to make my own veggie patties. I'm also eyeballing the Adventist Loaf, and what I can create with that, but that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment