Thursday, May 7, 2009

McCheaper Veggie Burgers


Garbanzo Burgers and Beets



Well, I love veggie burgers. There are limited brands available to me, as the majority of commercially prepared burgers have a soy base. There are rice burgers and there are sunflower seed burgers and other kinds I can eat, but the price of the pre-made veggie burgers is silly in comparison to the cost of the components--and they are, ultimately, processed products.

So I spent some time looking through variations available on Allrecipies.com and finally decided to try the Garbanzo Bean Burgers. I followed the recipe pretty exactly, with the addition of cumin, flax seed, and onion. The resultant product was tasty enough, nothing to write home about, but the effect--veggie crumbles---versus the amount of work it was to make these things means I won't be making them this way again.

Vital Wheat Gluten. That's what I figured would be needed--that, and a higher proportion of garbanzos to veggies, mostly because the amount of veggies versus legumes in this recipe was so perfect that there wasn't really a taste of anything. I love garbanzos and so want that flavor to dominate. I began thinking about how the recipe might be modified to make up for that, only to stop by Outpost in my neighborhood and find that they were out of the VWG. Feh.

Fortunately, the wait was a blessing in disguise: I got home and found that Joanna Vaught had posted a generic recipe for burgers featuring VWG as the agent that assists the burger in binding. I can't wait to try. If my first try turns out even a teensy bit promising, I can see multiple versions appearing in these posts.

And beets? mmmmmm. beeeeets. I less than three beets big big big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment