Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Experimental soup


Beets, Rutabega, and Cauliflower Tangerine Soup


So, I'm trying this veggie burger recipe. And it leaves a lot of leftover veggie scraps that are too little to do much of anything in a single dish, but it just kills me to throw away usable food.

So I throw it all into the pot to make a veggie stock, always a useful thing in a house like this one, and suddenly spied the huge number of tangerine peels I'd generated earlier in the day. MM, snackariffic tangerines. In they went.

Throw in a cut up head of cauliflower, cook to soft, and there you go, a soup of citrusy cauliflower goodness. I think I put in too many peels, and next time would start small--the peel of one tangerine rather than three.

Beets is beets, cherry tomatoes is cherry tomatoes, and the rutabega was served up with a litle olive oil and sprinkled with seseme seeds.

ETA, 8 May

I thought this might make a fabulous cold soup, but the pith in the peels made the soup bitter while it was refrigerated. I ate it all, but it wasn't as nice as I hoped it would be. Hopefully, fewer peels will help with that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment