Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Shiney new practice piscetarian cookery blog!!!

Okay, I confess, I'm not going to leave this blog in this location forever and ever, Amen. I have a New Shiny Site under construction, but I am just too excited by this idea to wait until the New Shiny Site is live, and doing this here will let me concentrate on behind the scenes things there. This is a beginner blog, a baby steps blog, a place to move all my cookery. I haven't even figured out what I want everything to be called--I've gone through 15 different names. But obviously I like Pretty Kettle a lot, as that's what is up top.

But I can start with firming up a mission and pulling the various recipes into one organized pile.

I eat a very specific style of diet, one which has various names and has been around for centuries. I am a Piscetarian. I eat plants and no meat but fish, 99% of the time. I can't say I am always a strict piscetarian, but I do my best, and the largest bulk of my meals are actually vegan friendly. I focus on locally available foods before long-distance, and organic over factory farmed.

This blog is intended to fill a space. You'd think that with all the fabulous vegan blogs out there, I would be well served and would not need to add another voice for cooking an alternate dietary style from scratch to the internet. However, when I built this page, it became very apparent that there was a place for one more specialty cook.

My emphasis is on modern and medieval cookery. There will be things here to feed piscetarian, true. That's my main focus. So also will there be things to feed vegans. I hope to be particularly helpful to vegans who can't eat soy--I can't either, not in any real way. This would be why so many vegan blogs are of minimal help to me--there is a huge emphasis on soy replacement foods. However, a well-developed piscetarian diet is going to focus on plant foods for most meals. It makes sense to be able to cook as a vegan cooks. Too, I'd like to be of service to those people who are transitioning. If you are going to go all the way, the piscetarian/pescetarian/pesco-vegetarian dietary style is a nice way to ease into it.

However, I'll also be focusing on the cookery of the old world, before the new world foods became prevalent. I love history, and I love redacting recipes. I also enjoy the challenge of cooking something that would be recognizable to people who lived in the era, and modifying that cookery so that it can be eaten by people with alternative dietary styles.

Well, that's a rough draft, but all mission statements start with just such a beginning. And now, there is cooking to be done and a product to be reviewed. So I'll go eat it and tell you what I think. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment